Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hard Copy Review - Elle Varner


           

           In a society that is filled with mp3’s and other forms of digital music, I purchased against the odds. This month I went out and purchased four hard copied music albums, so throughout this week I’ll be giving you a review on all four. I had the pleasure of listening to “Perfectly Imperfect” by Elle Varner, “Food and Liquor II” by Lupe Fiasco, “Chapter V” by Trey Songz, and “This is how I feel” by Tank.

            In a previous blog post you can remember me speaking on the album title “Perfectly Imperfect”. Varner expressed on BET’s “106 & Park” that the title simply means she is releasing the album with its “flaws and all”. In other words it isn’t something that she spent years perfecting, instead she decided “This is it”.

            From listening to her album you can’t deny her raw and soulful voice. Her voice is often compared to the sounds of Macy Gray, Ella Fitzgerald, Erykah Badu, and Jill Scott all in one. Most importantly she has beautiful content within her songs. Some of my favorite tracks from her album include “Refill”, “Stop the Clock”, “Only wanna give it to you”, “Leaf” and “So fly”.

So fly” stands out to me because of the special topic it covers. Often times Hollywood and the media helps us in deciding what we call a beautiful woman. Whether  it be having long hair, being a certain weight, or even encouraging plastic surgery. Varner makes a great statement in this song letting women know you don’t need all of the plastic surgery, sex, cars, and money in order to be beautiful. As Varner says in the song “ I must be out of my head If I think, that I am governed by material things”. In other words she is saying, do not let these material things run your life, you will end up being “everything but” yourself.

This is a great album from an awesome artist, and as you can see she cares about the content and lyrics she is providing to her audience. You can find many empowering songs like “So fly” on this album. I encourage you to purchase this  album at a store near you, iTunes, or Google Play.





0 comments:

Post a Comment